Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Home Improvements!

You might have noticed that Zach and my dad weren't in very many of the pictures I put up...well, they were busy!!! I was so happy with what they got done and we were really glad to have my dad's help.


The least exciting to me, but biggest project: The Garage

Zach has been working on this project for many months. He's insulated all the walls and is now putting up wallboard. He cleaned up the attic and then this past weekend he and my dad made a new opening to the attic with a pull down door for stairs. Our house is a cape cod, so it has really accessible attic storage upstairs, but because it's a cape cod, that attic part is more like closets than a large attic. So, we've quickly filled it and are looking forward to being able to store a lot more in the garage now!



A Ceiling Fan For the "Dining Room"

We use the dining room off the kitchen (because the kitchen has an eating area) for an office/play area. It sill had the chandelier and I felt like it looked kind of funny to have an older chandelier in a room that was not a dining room. So Zach and my dad installed this ceiling fan on Easter. It turned out to be a bigger project than we knew, but it turned out great in the end.



An Updated Light in the Kitchen

This light was harvest gold yellow (matching our lovely 1952 stove) and we spray painted it white to look a little more modern. I actually really like the older style of the light, but definitely appreciate the new color!


A Bookcase for Carolyn's Overflow

Using scrap wood from their garage my dad put together this simple little bookshelf for Carolyn. It sits directly across from her play kitchen and is going to be great to catch the overflow from her kitchen (tea set, play food, etc) and things like her crayons and paper. I am going to paint it white sometime soon and put felt on the bottom to protect the floor. Carolyn watched grandpa build it with great interest and calls it her "tower that grampap built!"


They also spent a good bit of time fixing our leaky upstairs toilet, but I'll spare you pictures of that!!!

Next on my list is fencing in the backyard, but Zach wants to get the garage all done first (and says that I add things to his list at a far faster rate than he can possibly take them off, which I must admit is very true!)

No comments: